Friday, October 30, 2009

Crafting Slump :-(

I've been in a crafting slump for quite a while now. For the life of me I do not know why. I have over 730 queued patterns on my ravelry account but nothing jumps out at me and says, "MAKE ME!" I check Ravelry's new patterns daily and queue lots of things but yet I don't have the urge to make any. I just think, "that's really cute" and then I hit the "add to queue" button.

I have so many unfinished projects laying around everywhere that I'm not even sure WHAT projects I have in hibernation. I just know I have bags and bags all over the house with some long forgotten project in it. I'll get a bug to craft something, get all excited, cast on, work on it for a few days and then the bug dies and I put it aside and don't pick it up for a while, or ever again. I seem to get bored with it pretty fast.

I recently made a bunch of hats for a children's charity but I can't bring myself to even weave in the ends and get them delivered despite the fact that those kids are going to be needing hats soon. Even worse, I talked my mom into making hats to donate too and her hats are just sitting in my studio waiting to be delivered. At least hers are done and will probably have a better chance at making their way onto the kids heads since I'm always driving my kids to school and it will be easy to drop them off while I'm already driving around town.

Now that my youngest is almost 18 months old, I can steal a little crafting time here and there, mostly yarn crafting (knitting and crocheting). I still can't get back to any kind of sewing. That takes a little more concentration and time and my studio is not exactly the safest place for my one and three year old to be with needles, scissors and other sharp items.  I don't really get any time to myself to work on these projects either, so that makes it even harder to be creative.  There is always something going on in a house of five kids to disctract from a project in hand.

Most of the projects I've done lately have been small and crochet. I can crochet faster than I knit and if it's a small project, I can get it done in a day or two. If it doesn't get done in a couple of days it gets added to the hibernation pile only to never awaken again.  Sometimes it gets frogged to be used for another project or a half done project gets trashed becuase the other half never got done.

I need some motivation! Do you have any tips for dealing with a creative slump? Leave your comments and let us know.





Prayer shawl

2 comments:

Corrina said...

Sounds like you need to design your own patterns!

Creations By Hand said...

I have actually been thinking about that but I have found it hard to figure out how and what to make :-)